1971 Porsche 908/03 1:18 Model by AUTOart
Porsche’s rise to sports car racing dominance in the late 1960s was built on several evolutionary designs, including the Porsche 904, the 906 and from 1968 to 1970, the 908.
Developed under the direction of Dr. Ferry Porsche’s ambitious nephew, Porsche competition director Ferdinand Piech, the 908 started as a response to the 3 liter displacement cap imposed in 1968 by the Federation Internationale De L’ Automobile (FIA).
Based on the flat six in the road going Porsche 911, the 908’s 3 liter flat eight made 320 horsepower.
The 908 ran with several open and closed body configurations, the closed coupe long tail versions for speed tracks, such as Le Mans and the bobtail flat topped spyder dubbed the “Flouder” for twisty events such as the Targa Florio.
The 908/03 was a further development of “Flouder” with 350 horsepower, reduced weight, and better handling. It was built primarily to win both the Targa Florio and Nurburgring 1000 Kilometer endurance races. It won both in 1970 and won again at the Nurburgring in 1971.
The Gulf Porsche 908/03 No. 2 represented in the model was driven by Jo Siffert and Derek Bell. It didn’t fare too well in the 1000 km race at the Nurburgring in 1971 as the team abandoned the car after only seven laps with “chassis complications”. This allowed Siffert to jump into the No.1 car with Pedro Rodríguez and Jackie Oliver and finish in second place, behind the winning Martini Porsche 908 of Vic Elford and Gérard Larrousse.
The AUTOart model comprises over 300 metal and plastic pats.
Key Features include:
- Opening doors and hinged engine cover assembly.
- Authentically reproduced body styling w/ accurate and extensive details.
- Fabulous working details including working steering and rolling wheels.
- Absolutely stunning powder blue and vermillion “Gulf Racing” paint finish with intricate decals and badges.
- Authentic and accurate race trim and details throughout.
- Highly detailed Porsche 3 Litre flat 6 cylinder engine and engine bay and accessories.
- Authentic black Porsche 5-spoke rims with real rubber race tyres with disc brakes and calipers.
- Beautifully detailed interior with detailed roll cage, racing harness, custom race seat, race instrumentation and satin chrome trim and plenty more other accurate details.
The AUTOart Porsche 908/03 is available in Australia from www.racerallyroad.com