Ford Focus RS goes retro with Le Mans editions
Ecurie Ford France, one of the partners of the popular Le Mans Classic event which takes place between July 9th and 11th, has prepared a collection of just five Focus RS cars in unique colour schemes, each paying tribute to the Ford cars which made ’blue oval’ history at the Le Mans 24 Hours.
Each of the five Focus RS Le Mans Classic vehicles will be finished in the colours of one of the Ford cars which made 24 Hours history for Ford. During the event itself, they will even carry the race number of the cars to which they’re paying tribute:
- Black with silver stripes: a reference to the Ford Mk II, which was victorious in 1966.
- Red with white stripes: recalling the Mk IV which won in 1967.
- White with a thin blue centre stripe surrounded by a red border: echoing the decoration of the beautiful Ford Mk IIB, entered by Ford France in the 1967 Le Mans 24-hours.
- Two-tone sky blue and orange: A modern take on the GT40s which dominated Le Mans in 1968 and 1969.
- Two-tone white and blue: representing the livery of the Capri RS 2600 which took the Touring category in 1972.
All five exclusive Focus RS vehicles also have customised interiors. The Recaro seats are upholstered in leather and diamond-quilted alcantara, front and back, with stitching that matches the bodywork. The gearshift gaiter, hand brake handle and central arm-rest are upholstered in real leather, and a leather safety belt guide has been added to the front seats.
Each of the five cars will carry a personalised numbered plaque on the dashboard confirming its exclusivity as part of the collection.
The five cars will be seen in action at the 2010 Le Mans Classic in July, and will be driven on a number of laps of the full track at the start of a number of the different ’grid’ races reserved for cars of a particular era, with Ford-invited special guests and VIPs at the wheel.
The Focus RS Le Mans Classic units will be joined on the track by the limited edition Ford Focus RS500, whose futuristic matt black livery will be an equally eye-catching addition to the palette of colours which have fired the imaginations of countless fans of Ford and the greatest endurance race in the world.