For Sale: Motorsport Retro’s 1982 Honda XR500
The time has come to move on from our much loved 1982 Honda XR500, which we painstakingly restored with Vintage Motorcross events in mind. The bike is 100% complete and is a fantastic performer, particularly for a 30 year old design!
The rebuild was a no-expense spared adventure, completed in 2012. The bike has only been used in three races since then. It presents incredibly well and can be used for leisure as well as pre-1985 VMX events, it can also be road registered!
The list of items replaced and refurbished is extensive. The rebuild included the following:
- Full strip down
- Powder coat frame, swing arm and triple clamps
- All new nuts and bolts
- Top end engine rebuild ( carried out by experienced workshop)
- New aftermarket plastic kit (original tank – we refurbished that best we could)
- Fork re-chrome and rebuild
- Rear shock rebuild and new spring
- New bearings all round
- New front and rear brake pads
- New seat foam and period correct cover
- Renthal bars
- Ballards levers
- Custom Ducati carbon exhaust
- Carby rebuild with new internals and gaskets
- New clutch and brake cables
- Near new tyres
- New front and rear sprockets
- New chain
- Gearbox rebuild – first and second and third gear replaced and appropriate dog rings.
The bike has been ridden since these photos were taken, and it is showing light signs of use consistent with what you might expect – just the usual odd scuff marks. It’s a beautiful bike which sounds fantastic too, it’s race ready and eligible for pre-1985 VMX events.
Located in Sydney, transport can be arranged. Any questions, please call Rich on 0403 263 509